Monday, February 13, 2012

FOR MY VALENTINE: HIS FAVORITE CHOCOLATE CAKE



In the past few days on the radio and on TV news I’ve heard Valentine’s Day referred to as “complicated” so often it got my attention.

What they are saying is “complicated” is finding someone to love and that same someone loving you back.

Well, I must agree with that.

Matchmaking has been around for centuries. It is big business today. No “news” there.

The difference between now and my dating era is that we either fell in love in high school, after we got to college or met someone after we entered the business world.

Let’s not forget the “bar scene” for finding Mr. Right. What a disastrous idea that was. Too many broken hearts left in ruin as a result of the razzle-dazzle of a night full of fun at the disco a la Saturday Night Fever (1977) and Dirty Dancing (1987).

 I wasn’t a “disco darling”…I co-owned the first disco in Tucson. A little known fact about me. What a craze it was…and lots of fun. I’m certain that many of those that met on the dance floor are still dancing through life together.

I always thought those girls who had serious relationships in high school were lucky. I thought that they had more fun than I did…always had a date for the dance after the football game…were more respectable than those of us who “dated around”…were chosen for homecoming royalty, were happier. They had a commitment.

Many of those couples that I knew from my hometown married after high school. Some went to college together and married after they graduated. Many are still married to their high school sweethearts.

I married my high school sweetheart.

I just didn’t meet him until I was 48.

He attended a high school for boys on the east coast.

I attended a co-ed high school in the Midwest.

He went to college in the northwest.

I went to college in the southwest.

But I am sure that had we been in high school together, we might have been boyfriend and girlfriend.

We are now.

Today I’m going to make his favorite chocolate cake.

He already “surprised” me with Godiva’s best truffles.

There will be cards for each other and I did get him a “surprise” also.

We get gifts for each other that we can share.

That is true love!     

Here’s the recipe. It is so-o-o easy and delicious.


Mother P's Crazy Chocolate Cake

        1½-cup flour
        1-cup sugar
        ½-cup cocoa
        1-teaspoon baking soda
        1-teaspoon baking powder
        1-teaspoon salt
        ½-cup shortening
        1-egg (can use 2 eggs)
        ½-cup milk
        ½-cup boiling water
        1-teaspoon vanilla

Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix.
Bake in an 8” square pan at 350 degrees about 40 minutes.

Notes: She said, “I often uses a tube pan and bake for less time. Also, the original recipe didn’t include baking powder or the second egg and it was very good.”

Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients:

½-cup softened unsalted butter
1½ to 2-cups sifted powdered sugar
1/8-teaspoon salt
1-teaspoon vanilla extract
2-tablespoons milk

Process:

Beat the butter with your mixer on medium speed in a bowl until fluffy.

Add 1½ cups sifted powdered sugar, turning your mixer on low, until the sugar is mixed completely with the butter.

With mixer on medium again, add vanilla extract, salt and 1 tablespoon milk.

Beat about 3 minutes or until completely mixed together.

If the frosting is too stiff, add 1-tablespoon milk.

If the frosting is not stiff enough, add ½-cup more sugar.

Mix until just right.

Decorate to your heart’s content…sprinkles, hearts, etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment